Wednesday, September 23, 2009

More Johnny Warhol & JRR Painting Process PHotOs

DSCN2563editcropped17-tile edit3

Hi EveryBody & EveryOne,

Last evening I played around with a photo of Johnny to create the Johnny Warhol image above…

Today I am going to share some of the process involved with the three paintings I am working on now. The three canvases currently on the floor measure 30” x 24” x 1/2”. I have been applying black and white undercoat to the pre-primed and stretched canvas. It seems that they will be a bit surreal.

These images are NOT what the ‘finished’ painting will look like.

30 x 24 DSCN2870 edit crop

The above photo is the latest stage for one of the three paintings. I am working on them simultaneously – three on the floor.

Click on any image to view it enlarged. If you would like to view my paintings check out previous blog entries and/or scroll down to Froggy at the bottom of the page. Click on Froggy and hop to my online store with links to eBay. I'm also on Etsy. Search for seller johnredmond (no spaces). You can find me on Facebook, Myspace and, "tweeet twweet," Twitter (Redjar7).

You may have to pardon today’s photos. At times they can be slightly out of focus. They are my snaps to record the process. I am sharing with you my personal record.

30 x 24 DSCN2879 edit crop

Looking North along the three 30” x 24” x 1/2 “ inch paintings in process.


30 x 24 DSCN2874 edit crop


30 x 24 DSCN2878 edit crop



30 x 24 DSCN2874 edit crop2








We shall see where these images are headed when I begin to apply some colour once the undercoating paint dries.

I have been adding splashes and dribbles of black and white paint to the pre-primed canvas. Sometimes the layers are added quickly. I take some time in between to view the result. Occasionally I will add a layer wet on wet. Yesterday I was about to walk out the door of my urban cave when I had the irresistible urge to splash on some paint. I turned around and responded to the calling.

Below is a series of photos showing the sequence of layering for one of the paintings.


30 x 24 DSCN2825 edit crop


I enjoyed the shapes that occurred during my first layer. I was attached to them. I like the rounded forms on this canvas. It took a bit of ceiling and painting staring plus a viewing of Picasso’s Bio to move me on.


30 x 24 DSCN2830 edit crop

30 x 24 DSCN2833 edit crop

30 x 24 DSCN2847edit crop








I started with black and white on the bottom with the idea that perhaps I would make an interesting abstract landscape image. Things have their own momentum.


30 x 24 DSCN2859edit crop


30 x 24 DSCN2864 edit crop



30 x 24 DSCN2870 edit crop











And so I find myself at this stage. Perhaps it will still be an abstract surreal landscape . . . we shall see.

The paintings I have highlighted here can be seen at either end of the group photo above. The painting in the middle I have left with fewer layers of undercoating. I like the simple lines and the snake image that developed in the sky appeals to me. Perhaps that painting it is the calm center {:~DD


As I began today’s posting so shall I end by leaving you with a little Johnny Warhol colour created with playful intention by me and a mouse.


More Johnny Worhol


Bye 4 Now,


DSCN2563editcropped11









John Redmond

Ottawa, Canada

John Redmond Art

No comments:

Post a Comment