Monday, August 17, 2009

From A Crazed 21st C. Urban Cave Dweller; Surreal To The Tune Of Quiet Evil

























Hi All,

Painting in the Raw again;




I took the plunge and poured some colour on the large canvases that I had prepared. I shared what that looked like in an earlier posting last week. I was inspired a couple evenings ago, so I put some LeE Harvey OSMOND 'Quiet Evil' into the stereo and began to pour, dribble, spatter, spattter, splash and spray.


Click on an image if you wish to see it enlarged. If you would like to view more of my paintings then scroll down to the bottom of this page, click on Froggy and you will hop to my online store with links to eBay. You can also find me on Etsy. Search for johnredmond (no spaces).
















I had already decided to use some strong colour- Low Key. I scrubbed the jars clean, mixed the paint in my clean jars, filled the spray bottles with water and paint and lay the canvases on the floor.















Painting two large canvases side by side simultaneously is a challenge. The water flows differently on the two surfaces. I control it sometimes by putting a little paper wedge under a side or corner. It will depend on where and how everything is flowing.



This is work. I spray here and there. Splatter. Pour. And stare. And watch and stare some more. Then I jump up, grab some paint and splash some colour somewhere.












At a certain point I stopped to give the painting some time to dry a little then I continued to add some paint. The last colour I applied was Payne's grey. The turkey baster was a useful tool for this application.



The following day, Saturday, I sprayed on a little more paint and applied copper and gold paint plus some more of the dark Payne's. During this process I had sprayed on lots of water to spread color so I had to leave everything to dry. Wicked Grin were performing at the Aylmer Marina in Aylmer, Quebec. I exited the cave and headed across the river to catch the show.












This painting does feel like drawings on a cave wall. It seems very elemental. Surreal and expressionist . . . it moves. The mind moves with it. When the paint had dried I separated the canvases from the excess paint and the paper I had put on the floor underneath them. I applied a coat of varnish to the surface of each canvas. In the evening, once the varnish had dried, I leaned them together against the TV. I sat back and beheld what I had wrought. OMG. The light in the room was subdued and that often brings out something deep from within the paintings. I really was in a cave.

I may venture into the world above but then I think I shall light candles, get my drums and Tibetan bells out and enter into the mood to decide if these shared cave drawings are complete.

Until the drums stop,

john redmond
in Ottawa, Canada



No comments:

Post a Comment