Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It Must Be the August Heat



Hi All,


It must be the heat. Or maybe it is the humidity. My brain seems to be on holiday. To quote myself, I feel, ''culture shocked, drifting on my home town breeze.''

I invoked this little spirit from one of my larger paintings. In the original he lurks behind my goldfish.

I think I will head out to the hill country across the river. Perhaps a walk along mountain woodland trails will realign the universe.

Perhaps out of the silence a new wind will blow.





I've been searching for words to benchmark this moment. Here are words I wrote a while ago. They are from a tune.


"I've just been away for a while
I've just been away for a while
My head's been wandering through a dream number nine
I've just been away for a while
Through a rabbit hole world, edge out of mind

I was running a long winding stairway looking down
When I staggered and stumbled almost to the ground
'Till I found my breath and my brain and the tree
That'd fallen my way . . . I didn't see
I remembered faces and places and stranger lovers than you

I've just been away for a while
I've just been away for a while
My head's been wandering though a dream number nine
I've just been away for a while
Through a rabbit hole world, edge out of mind

. . . Well time and space have passed . . .


I went over the river into Quebec headed toward Kingsmere. Alas, I got to the turn off and it was a road blocked due to construction. But undeterred I turned around and made my way there via the detour.

I parked my car in the lot, strapped on my hiking pack and headed for the woods.


It's great. I passed only two or three people including a mother and her wee child. The little girl said, "Qui sa?" To which mom replied, "Sa marche."

There is a lot of uphill during the first part of my trek toward the 'Skyline' hiking trail. I took a break at the lookout where there is a nice big wooden bench to sit on as you view the Ottawa Valley below. You can see for miles! Wonderful. I had a drink of H20 and moved out as the mosquitoes were thirsty too.

Skyline loops around the mountain top. The trail was created shortly after the Gatineau Park opened in 1938. It was a depression era work project. Thank you. Up and down and around it goes and so did I.

I was sweating - great. Sunshine, bugs, frogs, toads, blue jays, chipmunks, dragon flies . . .the wild life. I tried not to step on them. The whole tour takes about an hour and a half. Much refreshed I am after that healthy hike. Perhaps I will take my camera next time and share some photos with you.


To see more of my paintings scroll down to Froggy at the bottom of the page, click and you will hop to my Auctiva site with links to Ebay. On Etsy search for johnredmond . . .no spacesbetweenthename.


ciao

john redmond
in
Ah-Tah-Wah, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment