Thursday, October 1, 2009

Through A Rabbit Hole World

30 x 24 detail Oct 1 2009 010

Detail of 30” x 24” 1/2” abstract acrylic painting by John R. Redmond

Hi All,

Today I am sharing images of the ‘calm centre’ sibling of a trio of paintings I painted these past few days. Previously I shared photos of this one in process.


30 x 24 Oct 1 2009 017

30” x 24” x 1/2” abstract acrylic painting by John R. Redmond


This painting appears to be a landscape-like. There are black snake like lines winding their way through the image. At the top left you can see the head of this being in outline while at the top right a head seems to twist with a tongue poking out. Some bird images are here and there too. At least one small one is located at the very top center. The big splashes seem to appear as some phantasmagoric loon. There is movement above and below the waterline in this painting. Odd shapes reminiscent of fish can be seen. The bottom is strewn with netherworld debris. Do I notice an upside down scull on the bottom left?

Although there is a horizontal black and white shoreline dividing the upper and lower areas of the painting it seems apparent that there is no clear separation between the two regions. One is penetrated by the other.

There is more in there and I do not intend to impose my thoughts upon your discoveries. I am as surprised by the images as you may be.

Aug 27 09 004edit5-tile6

The colour in today’s painting is intense, strong and definitely not high key. I do enjoy painting using very delicate colour and have created many images that are quite subtle. A high key colour pallet is created by diluting the acrylic paint with water which also allows the white undercoating to play its role quite nicely. At various art in the park shows people have thanked me for making pastel look great. Tastes vary and I paint in a low key pallet too as was the case with this painting.

High-Key – Low Key, I been wondering where in the world these keys can be . . . oops, sorry Bob {:~D


If we say a painting is "high-key" we mean that most or all of the image is light or pale in value. For example, colours mixed with white, called "pastels" or "tints", are high-key. It's the opposite of "low-key", of course.” – from one of those handy online dictionary pages.


30 x 24 detail edit crop2 Oct 1 2009 017


30 x 24 detail Oct 1 2009 010


Click on any image to view it enlarged. If you would like to view my paintings check out previous blog entries and/or scroll down to Froggy at the bottom of the page. Click on Froggy and hop to my online store with links to eBay. I'm also on Etsy. Search for seller johnredmond (no spaces) or use the painting images on the right side of this blog page to zoom there instantly. You can find me on Facebook, Myspace and, "tweeet twweet," Twitter (Redjar7).


30 x 24 detail Oct 1 2009 011












Some lyrics from a tune I wrote which seem to express a similar phantasmagoric feeling;


‘Been Away For A While’ by John Russell Redmond

I’ve just been away for a while

I’ve just been away for a while

My head’s been wondering in a dream number nine

I’ve just been away for a while

Through A rabbit-hole world, edge out of mind . . .

I was slip-stream sliding in a scene off the line

‘Round I flew and I floated back to my home-time . . .



30 x 24 detail Oct 1 2009 016



Can’t explain where I’ve been put my finger to the moon

There ain’t nothing in my bag I’m keeping back from you

Hold a flower, a star, neutrino the sea

Flowing full and empty … We can be

It took me a moment but

I remembered faces and places and stranger lovers than you



30” x 24” x 1/2” abstract acrylic painting by John R. Redmond



Remember you can use the cool slide show mode viewing in full screen for a very phantasmagorical experience of this photo album. You can also view them individually in the album.


Enjoy.

ciao,


Redmond John cropped edit June July 2009 small 2 051


John Redmond (alias ‘The Bunny’)

Ottawa, Canada



John Redmond Art

No comments:

Post a Comment