Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Art Flies In The FM Sky

Flies on painting combined

Hi Art Lovers,

Here is the latest from sunny almost the Solstice Ottawa.

While photographing one of my latest creations on a sunny fluffy cloud filled day this week something unusual happened.  I did not notice it until I was editing the photos during the evening.  Two flies rested on my painting during the photo shoot.  When I was editing the photo I saw a blackish splotch that seemed out of place.  I checked the original and it was not there.  Then I zoomed in on the photo and discovered that the splotch was actually the image of two flies that had landed on my painting while I was photographing.  You can see the shadows of there bodies and wings in the above photo.  I thought, '”Wow, art loving insects.”  It then occurred to me what else flies enjoy resting on. That is art.


detail with Flies on painting 28 x 20 crop2 DSCN6462


You can see the shadows of their wings.  Too cool.


“Help Me!  Help Me!”
My favourite line from the original movie, ‘The Fly’.


I posted the fly photo on Facebook.  While there I noticed the profile picture of our musician friend Tom Wilson.  The Johnny-Warhol in me could not resist an impish impulse.  I used my PhotoScape program to grab the image of Tom from his Facebook page.  Is not the internet world scary?  Then I performed my mischievous deed. I grafted the photo of Tom to my flies.  The result is the photo below.  Fly master Tom has the chops.


Flies Tom Wilson chopsticks and flies on JRR painting


Can LeE HARvey OsMOND catch two flies with one one chop?
What is the sound of one chopstick chopping?


Flies Tom Wilson chopsticks and flies on JRR painting Light & Shadow series

From the Light & Shadow series . . .


Flies Tom Wilson with chopsticks




I know a place where no flies go.


28 x 20 DSCN6454

28” x 20” x 1/2” acrylic on canvas painting by John R Redmond


Click on any image to view it enlarged.
If you would like to view my paintings check out previous blog entries and/or scroll down to Froggy at the bottom of the page. Click on Froggy and hop to my online store with links to eBay.
I'm also on Etsy. Search for seller johnredmond (no spaces) or use the painting images on the right side of this blog page to zoom there instantly. You can find me on Facebook, MySpace and, "tweeet twweet," Twitter (Redjar7)



detail 28 x 20 crop DSCN6458



detail 28 x 20 crop3 DSCN6458




detail 28 x 20 DSCN6484

















Detail 28” x 20” x 1/2” acrylic on canvas painting by John R Redmond


Well, the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico continues and it appears we are receiving more accurate flow rate measurements now (maybe).  Thirty-five to fourty thousand (35 - 40,000) barrels per day is the current estimate.  It is already close to two million barrels of toxic crude oil that has spewed into the waters.  Add this to the toxic chemical dispersants being used and you get an unhealthy brew that will be hanging around for years.

Now this oil ‘spill’ is eight times larger than the Exxon Valdez oil spill. 
BP’s Deep Horizon well has poured out about 60% of what the Ixtoc Gulf of Mexico oil well did in 1979.  However Ixtoc was ten months gushing to reach the 3,329,000–3,520,000 barrels indicated on a Wikipedia table of the largest oil spills.  The Deep Horizon well has gushed for just under two months at the time of writing yet it ranks an infamous number four on the list of all time worst oil spills.  Hope is that more oil can be captured and that the well will be capped by September.  The BP oil spill could well surpass the Ixtoc spill and replace it as number three of all time oil spill disasters.

The pressure is on the Obama administration to be acting as if they are in charge of the response and to bill the cost to BP.  It does not seem to me, from news reports, that an all hands on deck effort is yet being made to protect the coastal areas of the Gulf of Mexico.  

We shall see.  Eleven people died when Deep Horizon exploded and sank.  The future is murder for much wildlife in the Gulf of Mexico plus misery and hardship for many folk in the area.

The oil-junky world is not innocent.



detail 28 x 20  crop DSCN6484

Detail 28” x 20” x 1/2” acrylic on canvas painting by John R Redmond




detail 28 x 20 crop DSCN6465





28” x 20” x 1/2” acrylic painting by John R Redmond
Click click click and you can view this album as a slide show in full screen view.
 

Let us hope oil wells that ends well.


 
detail 28 x 20 DSCN6468



Redmond john r 3b
John Redmond
Ottawa, Canada














John Redmond Art

No comments:

Post a Comment